Table of Contents
There is a very important point that web developers do not take into account when migrating a website, which is how search engines interact with this migration and this is often a result of a lack of SEO experience, and we must shed light on the extent to which website migration SEO.
Website migration process is not a simple strategy especially if it is related to SEO, as a Website migration SEO requires strict plans and monitoring to ensure that the web maintains and builds as much organic visibility as possible.
It may require some assisting factors such as digital marketing and highly qualified web development teams, to ensure that the tasks are completed in a correct and timely manner, and this is what SEO specialists focus on.
What is website migration?
It is a technical process during which a website undergoes multiple changes in URL, structure, content, user experience, design, or platform, and it can include the structure of a URL, or moving your website to a new domain or content management system (CMS).
The reasons for migration to a website are many, and a company may want to save resources by switching to a cloud-based database. Likewise, another organization can act as it finds a particular database more suited to its unique business needs.
if your website host is not providing you with what you want it is time to move to a better host, but you should realize that moving your website to a new web host does not have to be stressful, and moving the Website migration SEO becomes easy if I took the right steps.
Types of website migration
If you want to migrate your website from one host to another, you have to know the forms of website migration SEO so that you know which of them you will perform on your website, and during the following lines we review the forms of website migration:
- Protocol: which you only change your website’s protocol from HTTP to HTTPS.
- Subdomain: Your website changes from www.yoursite.com to new subdomain.yoursite.com.
- Domain: Change the URL of your website from www.olddomain.com to www.mydomain.com.
- Top-level domain: The process by which your website’s URL is changed from .com to .org, .net, or vice versa.
- Content Management System: During this form of migration your website is moved from an existing CMS to a new website, like moving from WordPress to a Umbraco CMS.
- Redesign: During this type of website migration, a set of modifications are made, ranging from small aesthetic changes to website layout to a complete website overhaul using master code and copying changes.
- Restructuring: In this type of website migration SEO, developers often change the user flow of the website or the URL structure on which the website is built.
- Mixed or combined: in this way, more than one type of deportation is used that was previously mentioned in this article.
Steps in how to SEO migration
The website migration SEO process goes beyond just transferring data to another host, in order to implement a successful data transfer technology and choose the optimal tool; there are some steps that must be followed, namely:
1- Defining an appropriate strategy
Here you need to know the reasons for the data migration in order to devise the appropriate strategy and then know if you want to go for data migration services or enterprise-wide ETL tools designed to facilitate data migration.
2- Conducting an evaluation and analysis of the institution’s data
At this stage, you should know the answers to the following questions:
- What is the amount of data required to migrate?
- Is the data structured or not?
- Is data redundancy a problem?
- How much data is excessive?
3- Cleaning Data
In this step we remove ROT data, compress residual content, and convert the enterprise-wide data into a single.
4- Sorting the data
During this step, the data is classified according to the requirements of the migration process, making it easy to direct the data to its correct location.
5- Ensure that the data are correct
This step involves reviewing the implementation process. Evaluate the databases and check if they are working the way they are supposed to and identify any exceptions to the data flow. Even if the process is automated, it is best to keep it checked to ensure that you do not face any unexpected challenges when implementing the process.
6- website migration SEO
It is the last step in the data migration plan during which everything is put into place, and after you have done all the previous steps correctly all you have to do is migrate the data from one.